Tuesday, June 24, 2014

How to Properly Eat Fruit

carolina sanchez, carolina sanchez food and lifestyle consulting, plantbased carolina, food combinations, fruit combinations, fruit combos, fruit combo chart





I often get questions about how to properly eat fruit, whether on an empty stomach, or after meals. All my life, I grew up eating fruit after meals for dessert. This is supposed to be healthy, right? Well, it beats eating sugary sweets, but it isn't the best option. 


Fruits are best eaten on an empty stomach. When you wake up in the morning is a great time because you've had the whole night to digest last night's meal. I always start the morning by slowly drinking a glass of water first, then I eat a big fruit plate. Some mornings I like to make a fruit salad with sweet and sub-acid fruits like bananas, mango, papaya, and maybe peaches or apricots (depending on the season), and other times I will choose acid fruits instead like strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.

Another option is to have a big plate of watermelon or melon for breakfast. If you do this, wait at least an hour before eating other fruits. Melons are best eaten before other fruits because of their high water content. They digest the fastest among all fruits, and need to pass through to your digestive system. If you add in other fruits, they will block the melon from passing through, and then it will sit in your stomach and ferment, causing gas and bloating.

This is exactly what happens when you eat fruit after a meal: gas and bloating. Fruit digests quicker than all other foods, so it gets trapped in your stomach with proteins, fats, carbohydrates and can't get through! So it begins to ferment and then you start feeling bloated and gassy. Not fun at all, and it can be very uncomfortable and embarrassing if you're in public or at a business meeting, yikes!

I suffered from terrible gas and bloating in college because I was eating so much fruit after meals and eating beans and rice all the time (more on food combinations soon). I thought it was just because I had adopted a vegan, plant-based lifestyle and I was eating a lot of fiber, but it was not the case. As soon as I learned to properly combine foods, the gas and bloating went away, and I felt so much more energetic.

When eating vegetables, wait at least 2 hours before eating fruits. When grains and/or beans are involved, wait at least 3 hours.

Did you find this article helpful? Let us know what you think by commenting below. Happy eating! :)

6 comments:

  1. okay so strawberry banana milkshakes are a no go then? i stopped reading as soon as i realized that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you add dairy or some kind of alternative milk as well in your milkshake? I would recommend keeping smoothies to just fruits, otherwise you might really get a belly ache or indigestion/bloating as dairy or nut milks have proteins and fat as well that won't mix well with the fruit. As far as mixing strawberries and bananas go, try it and see how you feel. I would start by using a small amount of strawberries with mainly bananas to see how your stomach reacts to it. Other possible combinations are banana and mango, or banana, peach, mango. Peaches are coming in season now so they're sweet and juicy! :) Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome article. Did you end up writing that article on food combinations? Saw your Quota post mentioning it but was unable to find it... I'd be interested in reading that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi namanarora! I haven't published that yet but thank you for letting me know. I always love to hear from my readers to see what they would be interested in. Stay tuned! :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete